2 min read

Warwickshire Pride warns of planned protest by "transphobic hate group" ahead of event

Warwickshire Pride warns of planned protest by "transphobic hate group" ahead of event
Warwickshire Pride Facebook

Warwickshire Pride organisers have reassured attendees that enhanced safety measures are in place after learning that an anti-trans group intends to attend this weekend's Pride celebrations in Leamington Spa.

In a statement issued ahead of Saturday's event, organisers said they had been made aware that Spa Sisters, a group they describe as a "transphobic hate group", plans to attend Warwickshire Pride and could attempt to disrupt proceedings.

According to organisers, members of the group attended Warwickshire Pride last year and were arrested after allegedly abusing members of the Pride team. The organisation said the group is banned from the event but appears intent on returning.

The warning comes as thousands of people prepare to take part in Warwickshire Pride's annual march and festival on Saturday, 22 August.

The march will set off from Beauchamp Road at 11am before travelling through Leamington Spa town centre via Clarendon Avenue, The Parade and Dormer Place, ending at the Pump Room Gardens, where the Pride festival will take place.

In a continued show of solidarity with the trans community, organisers confirmed that trans people will once again lead the march.

"Trans people will be at the front again. We'll keep doing that for as long as required," Warwickshire Pride said. The wider LGBTQ+ community will follow, with participating businesses bringing up the rear.

Organisers said they have worked closely with Warwick District Council, Warwickshire Police and a contracted security company to prepare for any incidents that may arise.

"Our plans are more robust than ever before," the statement said. "We are briefed and ready for all sorts of incidents that could occur. We are placing everyone's safety at the heart of it."

Additional safety measures for this year's march include support vehicles at both the front and rear of the procession, while a traffic management company will oversee rolling road closures through the town centre. Warwickshire Police will also have an increased presence along the route.

Pride organisers are urging attendees not to engage with protesters if disruption occurs.

"If something happens during the march, please keep walking and let organisers and the police deal with it," they said. "Follow all guidance given to you by our team or the police. It will be for your safety."

Festival-goers are being encouraged to report any concerns directly to volunteers in high-visibility clothing, roaming security staff or organisers based in the backstage area.

"Our advice is to not engage with these people. It is what they want – attention and confrontation. Please seek help if you need it and let us handle their removal."

Warwickshire Pride also reiterated its unwavering support for trans people amid what many LGBTQ+ organisations have described as a growing climate of hostility towards trans communities.

"We will not tolerate hateful behaviour of any kind," organisers said. "We stand firmly with trans people and our support will never waver."

The organisation stressed that the event remains a celebration of LGBTQ+ lives, visibility and community, and encouraged local people to join the march.

Participation is free for members of the public, who can simply turn up on the day. Organisers noted that registration for businesses and non-LGBTQ+ organisations closed in advance and no further applications can be accepted.

The march route has also been designed with accessibility in mind. Organisers say it will move at a gentle pace, last around 30 minutes and be supported by volunteers who can assist anyone who needs help along the way.

Despite concerns over the planned protest, Warwickshire Pride says its focus remains firmly on creating a safe, welcoming and visible celebration of LGBTQ+ communities across the region.

Support independent LGBTQ+ journalism

Scene was founded in Brighton in 1993, at a time when news stories about Pride protests were considered radical.

Since then, Scene has remained proudly independent, building a platform for queer voices. Every subscription helps us to report on the stories that matter to LGBTQ+ people across the UK and beyond.

Your support funds our journalists and contributes to Pride Community Foundation’s grant-making and policy work.

Member discussion